Friday, September 21, 2012

Growing

I sat him at the table with his afternoon snack. Although restless, I told him he could keep mommy company while she was doing the dishes. My intended meaning, to eat his snack, was apparently lost. Rather, he ventured to the family room to retrieve one of his stools. I was so wrapped up in scrubbing that I jumped when his blonde head popped up beside me.

"I want to do the dishes with you, mommy."

In the space between three and four, and between snack time and budding chores, I know I teared up. More than just a little.

Written for Velvet Verbosity's 100 Word Challenge. Prompt Doing Dishes

7 comments:

  1. love this! It's so fun when they WANT to help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter LOVED helping with dishes when she was younger. Boy I miss those days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was he restless or was she? I think you have a misplaced modifier there. Otherwise, I liked it a lot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. a moving tribute to your love of B. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. weird - this went to the wrong spot. :( sorry, You know what I meant.

      <3

      Delete
  5. I miss those days when my girls wanted to help me with everything. Now I have to beg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful!! And so nicely written too.. :) One day when I have kids, hopefully they would also be a little like that!!

    ReplyDelete