Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Husbands

I had just been sprung from nine weeks in the hospital and my fiancé was showering me with the most wonderful gifts. The first was a trip to the hair salon for a much needed cut and color. He wheeled me down to my usual spot and picked me up when I was done. My hairdresser loved him and his thoughtfulness.

Because there was so little time between meeting and engagement and then the blink of an eye between engagement and the hospital, the people who inhabited my life had not had too much time to get to know him. Certainly not as I had. His kindness, his absolute honesty, his unabashed love for me. These were things that took getting used to under the best of circumstances.

They were all such a radical departure from my first husband. It was, admittedly, many years ago. But you get that paranoid "what his he doing behind my back" thing going. Even after 15-some years you have a hard time shaking it off. Five mistresses. Gun dealing. Siphoning off my hard-earned salary to nefarious purposes. Absolutely no redeeming moments, hindsight explaining that even the best of the worst was all his illusion.

A few days after the hair salon, my fiancé surprised me again and wheeled me into my small, cramped nail salon. They made enough room for me to comfortably remain in my wheelchair. He was there for less than five minutes, ready, again, to pick me up when done. The Korean woman began work on my nails, asking if he was my husband.

"Not yet! He is my fiancé. We will be married next year," I beamed.

"He has such kind eyes," she said so sweetly and then turned back to the business of tackling my cuticles. I could not help but smile at his almost instant likability. No wonder he caught me so off guard.

10 comments:

  1. Gun dealing! My, her first husband sounds like quite a guy. No wonder she has a hard time shaking that off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice slice of life with a twist of the bad first husband. New guy sounds like a trophy. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really appealing for so many reasons: we wonder about the hospital and the wheelchair and her prognosis; we wonder about the quick engagement; we wonder if he is truly good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its really hard to trust again after being hurt that way. Its wonderful when you find someone understanding of that. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This left me feeling so curious about... everything. And now I want to know more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second Kelly's comment. Especially the wondering if he is truly good. He seemed almost too good to be true; I was waiting for the betrayal to happen. I hope he is that good though, because one broken heart is enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhhh, You! :) You know how I feel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so happy and hopeful. And yet there's a mystery in there too. Nicely done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting view into her life, leaving you with a lot more questions than answers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's a lot here that leaves the reader wanting more. Thanks for linking up with us again. Come on back soon.

    ReplyDelete