Monday, June 18, 2012

Clean

A friend had brought waterless toothbrushes and body wipes. A nice offering, but the morphine and the stream of pretty, pretty flowers were a much higher priority. Forced to leave those things behind and move to the rehabilitation hospital, it had been weeks since her hair had been washed. Gross. Itchy. "You smell like a homeless person." Should a new fiancée say such things? There was a lady. If you could find her. She had a contraption to place around your neck while sitting in your wheelchair next to the sink. $15. Water. Shampoo. Invigorating doesn't nearly cover it.

Written for Velvet Verbosity's 100 Word Challenge. Prompt: invigorating.

6 comments:

  1. I cannot even imagine. It was bad enough for me after only a couple of days post surgery. You tell it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sponge bath? Guess it's not the same as a shower. I can imagine just how precious a shower would be when you couldn't have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sponge bath requires a certain mobility level. That said, it still doesn't wash your hair, which was the main point I was attempting to convey. I suppose i could try to work in the distinction, but 100 words isn't much room for tons of detail. Shower didn't come for weeks, and it was a horrific experience. Love these fictional conversations. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is the challenge isn't it? Make it all clear in 100 words. No easy task, I admit. But oh so excellent for the writing muscles. :)

      Delete
  3. How unfair to have to pay for it! (On the other hand, as such things go, well priced.) The language was so descriptive, especially the fiancee's observations about smell. Ugh. I hate for my hair to go more than two days unwashed, and I'm in the minority in my willingness to wait that long!

    ReplyDelete